Thursday, June 16, 2016

Spicy Thai Red Curry Beef #cookinglight



As I got older, married and became a mom and home owner my magazine choices shifted. No longer do I spend my time flipping through Glamour, Cosmopolitan (I really only saw this at the gym for free). Women's Health and Self.  Now I am all about This Old House, HGTV, Parent's and Cooking Light. 

Cooking Light is by far my favorite right now. I still only read magazines at the gym but with Cooking Light reading becomes a page flagging event.  Each recipe that looks good gets a little page flag and then I head to the store with my weekly meal plan getting any ingredients we don't have on hand. 

Its a good week when I have about 2-3 new recipes interwoven with the handy standby favorites. It is not unusual for me to come out with 10 plus recipes I want to try but the June issue of Cooking Light was particularly full of good looking, delicious sounding recipes.



I had a hankering for curry and when I saw their Spicy Thai Red Curry Beef recipe I knew this would be the first recipe to try.  We had all of the ingredients on hand with the exception of the peppers. I was extra excited to be able to use our fresh basil from the garden.  This recipe came together so quick. We prepped the onions and peppers ahead of time during the weekend. Come Monday night Mr. J went to work on the sauce and beef while I played with the baby.  The meal was even easier by using some leftover Chinese takeout rice.  

We also seem to have leftover Chinese takeout rice since we always order fried rice or lo mien noodles with our food.  The rice is always kept for another meal which uses rice.  

The dish was good but not too spicy. In fact making this recipe again would come with a bit of extra spice for us but we tend to like things spicy, including Miss O. 



Spicy Thai Red Curry Beef


by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: stir-fry entree curry
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
  • 4 teaspoons red curry paste
  • 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced red bell pepper
  • 1 cup sliced onion
  • 12 ounces beef tenderloin, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 cups hot cooked brown basmati rice
  • 4 lime wedges
Instructions
Spoon coconut cream (thick layer at top of can) into a large skillet; stir in curry paste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

Add remaining coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and red pepper; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add bell pepper and onion; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 4 minutes.

Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally.

Remove pan from heat; stir in basil, lime juice, and salt. Serve beef mixture with rice and lime wedges.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...