Friday, November 29, 2013

Chocolate Chip Gingerbread


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  Now that turkey day is over it is time to move on to Christmas.  Christmas this year is going to be completely different for me. We are going away over the holidays. That means no presents. I am not sure what I think of this yet. Giving and receiving is something I enjoy very much.  I honestly don't know if I will be able to resist buying a few little things here and there for family.



One thing that will not be different is holiday baking. I have already made a few batches of new cookies.  My Pinterest board is packed full of cute candies and cake. I wish I could take the month off just to bake it all.



I did mange to squeeze in these tasty little bars last week. I am not a big fan of gingerbread cookies ( I think they are too crispy for me) but I love gingerbread cake.  These bars are soft, gooey and have chocolate. Each day the bars got better and better as the spices and molasses merge. 



They didn't last long and I am thinking they will become a new family tradition for the holidays. 

Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Bars

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate cinnamon Christmas bar
Ingredients (serves 9)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup unsulphered light or medium molasses
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • pinch salt, optional to taste
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
For the topping:
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.  Set aside to cool.

Once the butter is cooled,  add the egg, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, optional salt, and whisk until smooth.

Add the flour and stir until just combined, don't over mix.

Stir in 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips.

Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.

Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top and then the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips, pressing them down very lightly with a spatula.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until done. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs.

Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 60 minutes before slicing and serving;
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. Now these just scream holidays! And all that gooey chocolate makes me want them in my stomach very soon! I hope you're heading somewhere fun for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy!! So decadent and so christmas-y!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the idea of chocolate and gingerbread together. This is great. :O)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...