Wednesday, October 9, 2013

salted caramel apple crisp {Happy Birthday}

Happy Birthday Mr. J!!

For one month I am officially older than Mr. J.  For the other eleven months of the year we are the same age.



Fun fact about us.  My birthday is 9/10. His birthday is 10/9.  I think that means we were made for each other. 



Sadly he got a cold yesterday.  We will save the big time celebrating for later this weekend but I couldn't let the day pass without giving him a little something special. 



He doesn't like cake. Typically birthdays mean apple pie. This year he said he didn't need a pie but would take whatever apple dessert I concocted.  

This week has been busy for both of us so not having to make pie was music to my ears.  Apple crisp seemed appropriate enough but to jazz it up a bit for a birthday I added salted caramel on top.  Apples. Caramel sauce. Crumb topping.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Happy Birthday Hubby!!

Salted Caramel Apple Crisp

Adapted slightly from Mother Thyme
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8)
For the Topping
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter cut into to small cubes
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Filling
  • 3 pounds apples, peeled and sliced ( I used Gala, they need to be crisp apples)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup caramel sauce
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

For the Topping
In a large mixing bowl add butter cubes, flour, oats, sugars, cinnamon and salt. Using a pastry cutter, chop up the butter until mixture is crumbly.

For the Filling
Toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and toss to coat.

In a large oven safe skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally until just tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Use 1/4 cup of store bought caramel sauce to pour on top of apples. Evenly sprinkle with crumb mixture.

Transfer skillet to oven and bake for about 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and remaining caramel sauce.
Powered by Recipage

5 comments:

  1. My mom always makes me apple pie or apple crisp for my birthday! I may have to have her add salted caramel this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw so cute! I hope he has a good birthday (even though he's sick :( )--this certainly looks like a tasty treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple crisp is my favorite type or crisp and then you had to go and add salted caramel making it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Mr J!! It's funny how both our Mr Js are born in the same month! I love his apple crisp very much...especially the salted caramel addition! Great wife ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite comfort foods. Sounds delish. And happy bday to mr J

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...