Friday, January 11, 2013

Pound Cake Lightened Up



I might have gotten cookie overload during the holidays.  Funny thought now because as I type this post I would give just about anything for a chocolate chip cookie.  I guess my overload ended quickly.




During this weird overload episode I decided to make cake.  Mr. J doesn't like cake.  However, pound cake is an exception.  I think it has something to do with its ability to transform into strawberry short cake so easily.




Pound cake fascinates me purely from the history behind the recipe.  Named Pound cake because the traditional recipe has a pound of flour, butter, eggs, and sugar.  Now that is a lot of cake.




This recipe from Joy the Baker has less butter but stays moist with the addition of cream cheese.  I used light cream cheese to cut some additional calories.



I also used some fancy new coconut sugar Mr. J got me for Christmas.  It had a little bit different taste that I cannot quite put my finger on.  It was a dark shade hence the bread looking a bit more brown.
 



Pound Cake

by Joy the Baker
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert cake


Ingredients (1 loaf)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×5-inch baking pan and dust with flour. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together softened butter and cream cheese. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl and make sure that the butter and cream cheese are evenly mixed. Add the sugar to the butter and cream cheese mixture, and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.

Stop the mixer. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. On medium speed, beat in one egg at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla extract.

Add dry ingredients all at once. Beat on low speed until dry ingredients are completely incorporated.
Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, rotating once or twice during baking. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, or with just a few crumbs.

Cake will last, well wrapped at room temperature, for up to four days.
Powered by Recipage


4 comments:

  1. Haha, yes I am also having trouble telling myself that I should be over cookies this month. :) I could comfort myself with cake, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this lightened up version! I'm going to have to try adding cream cheese the next time I make pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I say I love this version. I steer clear of pound cake because I'll probably gain 2lbs eating it. This looks like a fantastic way to lighten it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pound cake is so delicious and dangerous!! I like your lighter version!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...