Monday, January 7, 2013

Four Cheese Mac and Cheese

Ever since our Savannah trip I have been craving mac and cheese. I could live without any other Southern cuisine but mac and cheese. No way. 

 I heart mac and cheese. We aren't talking about the blue box variety. This is the tried and true, lots of cheese, bread crumbs on top, baked kind.


My mom never made mac and cheese growing up.  I was able to get my fill though when I had braces.  Ever time my braces got tightened my parents would take me to a local place for loads of mac and cheese. It almost made the appointments exciting.  Almost.

No more braces.  I now have to take matters into my own hands for this creamy, cheesy goodness.  

I was a little worried when I put the pan into the oven because it seemed a bit buttery.  After baking though the sauce really came together and thickened even more.



Four Cheese Mac and Cheese

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake pasta cheese


Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 1 pound mini elbow pasta
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup cream cheese cheese
  • 8 ounces freshly grated gruyere cheese
  • 8 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 8 ounces freshly grated fontina cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grate cheeses, placing them together in a large bowl. Boil water and prepare pasta according to directions, cooking barely al dente (about 3-4 minutes less than directed).

Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in olive oil and butter, then throw in onions with a pinch of salt. Stir to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. 

Add flour to the skillet then whisk constantly to create a roux. Let cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Pour in milk, stirring continuously for another 1-2 minutes. Add in cream cheese and almost all of the grated cheeses, reserving about 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Stir continuously until mixture thickens, about 3-4 minutes. 

Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then tasted and season more if desired. Add pasta to the skillet and toss thoroughly to coat.

Sprinkle the top of the mixture with remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Powered by Recipage

8 comments:

  1. I love the use of different kinds of cheese! Creamy and cheesy is the only way to have mac and cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessssss mac n cheese! Looks phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm! I will always have a soft spot for mac and cheese :) This looks ridiculous good Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful - what a great favorite - love the use of fontina!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter must make a batch of the blue box at least once a week. You've inspired me to treat her to some yummy homemade mac and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is some cheesy mac and cheese! My kids would go ga-ga for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. Mac & cheese. :) I like the fontina you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is really nothing better than mac and cheese! I love the combo of cheeses you used to! Makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...