Monday, June 4, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Carrot Muffins


My favorite time of the day is morning, right when I wake up. I typically wake up before the alarm clock especially during this time of year.  I love it when the light is just starting to peak through the curtains.  Everything is peaceful and quite.  I grab my coffee, turn on the news and check emails.  It is just me.


Lately I start to toss around 5:15am and am up and ready to go at 5:30am.  These days I can get so much done before work.  This particular day after enjoying the first few sips of my coffee and was determined to make these muffins.  Last week the days were hot and humid and I couldn't bring myself to turn on the oven.


However at 6am the day has not yet warmed up. You don't have to get up quite so early to enjoy these muffins. You can get a head start the night before measuring out the dry and wet ingredients in two separate bowls. In the morning you combine and pop in the oven.  I had these babies out at 6:15. Enough time to let me run to the gym before work.


I came back from the gym to still warm muffins (and a few missing before I could snap a quick photo for the blog). I added some cinnamon raisin peanut butter and I was go to go for the day.  They taste like banana bread with a bit more flavor.  They are filling. Don't let the whole wheat flour fool you.  The cup of brown sugar leaves them plenty sweet.


Whole Wheat Banana Carrot Muffins

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (12 muffins)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups finely chopped/grated carrot
  • ¼ cup quick cooking oats
  • ¼ cup coconut
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1tsp cinnamon powder
  • 2 ripe bananas mashed into a paste
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients and mix well.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix till combines. The mixtures will be quite hard. If it looks too dry add a little more yogurt. Don’t be tempted to make it too watery.

Scoop the batter into the greased muffin tray. And bake till done, approximately 20 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

13 comments:

  1. These are definitely ultra healthy and a delicious breakfast treat - thumbs up :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning time in pretty peaceful when you are the only one up. Also, having these muffins would make the day that much better. Tasty and healthy-yum! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the banana carrot combo! And totally agree, whole wheat muffins can be seriously filling, they get very heavy. Very good for you though! And perfect way to start out the day, love these muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving all these ingredients, the carrot and banana together is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious. I like the idea of complimenting them with the cinnamon raisin peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any kind of nut butter makes breakfast better.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could wake up that early! I go to bed wayyy too late! Such a bad habit! These muffins look so good! Love the use of carrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you can stay up much later than me though.

      Delete
  7. I love whole wheat recipes and these look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drinking tea with nothing, and really wish that these muffins are on the side. That would make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered your blog! This recipe looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...