Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homemade Applesauce {10 minute side}

When I am stressed out and busy I don't sleep well. I can fall asleep just fine but I will wake up in the early morning.  Once I am up its over; there is no hope of going back to sleep.  Last week I decided that instead of laying there being mad about not sleep I would be productive. 

What helps relieve my stress is cooking and baking in the kitchen.  I love it.  You focus on what you are mixing and combining. You can touch, feel and smell.  And in the end the best part is enjoying what you made. 

My productiveness at 4am came out in the form of food.  The apple pie and banana bread from last week were both works of early morning kitchen time.  Amazingly I didn't bang around too much as to disturb Mr. J.  Each morning he would walk up with a huge grin knowing there was going to be something really good for breakfast. 


Something else I made early one morning is so quick and easy you don't even have to walk up at 4am.  We had an over abundance of apples.  I had a recipe that required applesauce and didn't have a jar. Well, an easy solution was to make some myself. 

Homemade Applesauce

5 medium apples, cored and sliced
1/2 C water
2 tsp cinnamon

I like the texture of the peels and leave them on. You can easily remove peels but it will take longer.
Also don't add any sugar, the apples are sweet enough for me but you can add approximately 1/4 C sugar.

Throw all ingredients into a saucepan. Cook on medium heat.  Stir occasionally. After 5 minutes the apples should become soft.  Use the spoon to mash up the apples to your liking.

5 comments:

  1. I just made applesauce last weekend after we went apple picking :) Nothing better than fresh, warm applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fresh made apple sauce is always a better choice then store bought! the recipe sounds so simple only if i were not this lazy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade applesauce is so much better! And I agree, no sugar is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make this for Peanut! That and Pear sauce. But I peal all the fruit before I cook it so it's completely smooth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...