Thursday, September 1, 2011

America Eats

Update: We are still without power in Connecticut.  Tomorrow I am planning on posting about the big storm, how we managed, and lessons learned.  I keep hoping that power will be restored and I will be back to blogging and reading all your wonderful posts soon.  Until then, computer batteries are reserved for the absolute essentials, mainly work. 

I consider this somewhat essential though.  America Eats is a Jose Andres restaurant.  On July 4th he opened America Eats to coincide with the Smithsonian exhibit "What's Cooking Uncle Sam" at the National Archives.  The exhibit explores how the government has shaped America's eating habits over time.  It was fascinating to say the least.

The menu at America Eats is a history book in dish origins.  It is like a mini history book for food. You can find out where the Cobb Salad was created and Presidential Favorites.  Bill Clinton loved gazpacho.

We started off with some homemade donuts and a bread basket. 
The best part was the blackberry jam and butter.  So delicious!





As soon as I saw the menu I knew I had to get hush puppies.   We each ordered an appetizer and did the whole pass the plate around the table.  It was great to sample but I think my hush puppies were the winner in this round.

Buffalo wings anyone?  Of course, this origin was a given...Buffalo, New York.


Cannot get more American than a hot dog served with homemade mustard, catchup, and relish to boot.

Johnny Cakes
Po'Boy sandwich
Reuben sandwich


The food portions were a bit small and the prices were a bit much but the concept is completely cool.  I took about 30 minutes to go through the whole menu reading all of the details. 

The meal ended with a bit of dessert.  Strawberry shortcake for Mr. J and key lime pie for a few others.  The key lime pie was deconstructed.  According to all though it was delicious!

The restaurant is only opened for the length of the exhibit.  So if you are in DC and can make it...go fast! 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have power back by now! I wish I could go to this restaurant, looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your still without power... wow! Hope power comes back on soon. Love all the photos. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get your power back very soon! This exhibit is wonderful! I'm a HUGE fan of Johnny Cakes....the best ones I ever had was in a small farm-to-fork restaurant in Kentucky...back in the 80s before anyone knew what farm-to-fork was!

    I love the idea of this restaurant and it sounds like they really gave each dish great thought!

    Take care and good luck with the power!

    ReplyDelete
  4. first, happy belated anniversary! you two look beautiful!
    second,although this post was written 3 days ago I'm guessing you're still without power since you didn't update it! hope soon everything gets back to normal :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...