Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hippie Granola

At times I think I might have live in a hole for the majority of life.  Or maybe just a bubble was dimmed out some of what was happening around me.  Actually, I am pretty aware of my surroundings most of the time.  I don't get lost.  I remember places and colors.  I don't have a knack for phrases though, or names for that matter.  Most days I find myself having to ask, "What does that mean?" or "I haven't heard that before."  I am not a "in the know" kind of person".  I am OK with that. 

One such time was when I was talking about Bates College.  It was about 20 minutes from where I went to high school. During my senior year I even took a class there. Its a pretty classic New England college.  I think of Bates has somewhat preppy.  However, during a recent conversation about Bates, someone mentioned how it really attracted granola people. 

Now what is a granola person?  I eat granola does that mean I am a granola person.  After being told it was more of hippie, social activists, green, those who don't shower.  OK that last one might have taken it a bit too far, but I definitely realized I was not what was being referred too.  I haven't decided if that is a good thing or not just yet.

I ask myself who comes up with these things?  How do they spread?  And why am I always the last person to find out what they mean?


I like granola quite a bit. I am used to the homemade variety. Store brands are way too sweet for my taste.  They are often expensive and not very healthy.  I am hear to tell you though that granola is very simple to make at home.  So whether you are or are not a true granola person, you can certainly make some.

Hippie Granola
Adapted from Ina Garten

Ingredients:

4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup salted pumpkin seed
1 cup peanuts
1 cup unsalted walnuts

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup maple syrup


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss the oats, seeds and peanuts together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour onto a cookie sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 45 minutes.


Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.




8 comments:

  1. I did not realize that granola is a hippy food. I love granola too! Guess I better stop taking showers and start picketing different causes. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the first time I've heard reference to granola being hippie food! :)

    I love making homemade granola...nothing like fresh and adding more goodies to it. I like this recipe you've shared...I'm gonna have to try it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually went to grad school with three Bates people and they weren't especially hippy-ish. Although I was totally aware of the granola = hippy thought. :) Your granola looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ehehehe...hippy food. This granola recipe looks tasty and so easy to put together. I definitely prefer the homemade versions rather than prepackaged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sounding granola recipe! Usually we stir it up in a big frying pan, but baking it sounds like a great option. Must try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! So Tru! I tend to use pop culture phrases a lot. I never thought that people might not know what I'm talking about. For instance, in one of my posts, I wrote, "MacGyver" as a verb. lol..to MacGyver something.

    As for the granola thing..sometimes they just say "crunchy" Like oh..yeah...he's a crunchy. haha. That one is pretty confusing.

    I love granola! But, I shower and tune out of politics. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy to snack on delicious
    thank you for the add

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...