Monday, November 30, 2009

A bit too late, maybe next year: Pumpkin pie

I don't like pumpkin pie; the flavor is good but the texture is not. However, I simply cannot fathom Thanksgiving without one. As I mentioned in my previous post I opted out of posting Thanksgiving day recipes after the fact. But I am hoping somewhere out there in cyberworld there is someone who really loves pumpkin pie. And unlike me this pumpkin pie lover will stretch out the conventional pumpkin pie season out to Christmas. Thus, here is my ultimate pumpkin pie recipe. Even I have to admit that this pumpkin pie is divine and worth a little sliver of a piece once a year.

PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients:
One store bought pie crust
2 C canned pumpkin (1 can)
1 C dark brown sugar
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C Heavy cream
2/3 C milk
4 large eggs

1. Put pie crust in pie dish. Some recipes call for you to pre-bake the crust. I normally don't for this recipe, the crust will cook all the way through by the time the filling is set. If you prefer to pre-bake do so at a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Then cool.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Adjust rack to the lowest position in the oven.

3. Process pumpkin, sugar, salt, and all spices together. Put in saucepan and simmer over medium high heat. Cook until thick and shiny, stirring constantly. It will take about 5 minutes. The mixture is pretty thick to begin with so I normally leave going till it just starts to bubble, the smell will intensify as well. That is when it is all done.



4. Whisk heavy cream and milk into pumpkin mixture and simmer again.

5. In separate container beat eggs together until well combined. When pumpkin mixture is simmering again add a small amount to egg mixture and stir. Then add eggs to pumpkin mixture in two turns, one half at a time. Make sure the pumpkin mixture is not too hot and boiling - it will turn the eggs into scramble egg chunks in the pumpkin.

6. Ladle mixture into pie crust and bake until filling is just puffed - about 25 minutes. The top will look a bit dry. I like to do the jello test. Gently shake the rack the pie is sitting on. If it looks liquidy its not done but if it looks solid but jiggles like jello its done.



The best cooked pumpkin pie is one with no cracks on top. If cracks begin to form its done.
As I said before, this pie is good. Even though I don't like pumpkin pie I still sample a bit of this every year. It may require a few extra steps and dirty dishes to make but it is well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...